- What does .CO mean (suffix)? What is the meaning of .CO? What is .CO in a web address?
- .CO vs. .COM, what's the difference? .CO vs. .NET, .CO vs. .ORG.
- What is the price of .CO? Why is .CO more expensive than .COM?
- Does .CO rank on search engines the same way as .COM?
- How do I switch to .CO?
- When was .CO launched?
- Is .CO the ccTLD for the country of Colombia?
Frequently Asked Questions
Here's a short FAQ with some of the most common questions about .CO. For a more comprehensive FAQ, please visit our corporate site.
1. What does .CO mean (suffix)? What is the meaning of .CO? What is .CO in a web address?
Every website lives within a domain space such as .com, .net, .biz and others. Introduced to satisfy the need for short and memorable web addresses, .CO is a new domain extension that offers you a global option for branding your online presence.
.CO is already meaningful and recognizable in multiple languages and cultures.
- It's the acronym for "company". For most people1, the two letters – CO – are recognized as meaning company and/or corporation across the globe. Look around and someone near you is already using the letters CO in that context.
- It's used in country-code domain extensions. More than 20 countries use .CO to mean company and/or commercial content in their websites (e.g. .co.uk, .co.in, .co.il, .co.jp, etc.). By adding a .CO domain to their online marketing strategy, country specific websites can now have a version of their site serving their global customers.
- In other uses it has geographic meaning. CO means Colombia and it also means the State of Colorado in the USA.
1 According to a research study conducted by Penn, Schoen and Berland in 2009, out of 600 past and prospective domain registrants in the USA, more than 75% of respondents associated .CO with company, corporation, or other commercial endeavors.
2. .CO vs. .COM, what's the difference? .CO vs. .NET, .CO vs. .ORG.
Domain extensions like .info, .mobi, .org and .tv enjoy specific niche markets, which is great if that is what you need for your online branding. .CO is different in that it is more general in meaning and not niche specific.
.CO is registered just like all the other domain extensions. You can get it from domain retailers (a/k/a registrars) for one year or multiple years in advance. As long as you renew your .CO web address, it's yours to keep.
3. What is the price of .CO? Why is .CO more expensive than .COM?
Simply put, we believe that if you're an entrepreneur or a real business that needs a credible domain for your online branding, our pricing is just right for you.